Intern, West Africa
Description: CIPE’s flagship Sahel program works with business to bring economic development to the forefront of addressing the root causes of insecurity in the Sahel (Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, and Niger). The intern will be responsible for supporting the CIPE Africa team (specifically the West Africa subregional team) with external communications and outreach efforts. This includes but is not limited to developing well-research content in French and English for the West Africa team websites and social media and researching current events related to economic development, climate action, and democracy in the Sahel region.
Reports To: Program Associate, West Africa
- Learn about CIPE’s West Africa programs and activities
- Strengthen research and communication skills, as demonstrated through blog posts, press releases or briefings
- Improved understanding of the functioning and role of international development aid
- Direct exposure to project/program cycle management, including project identification, formulation, implementation, and monitoring
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Support communication activities, including thematic briefs and informational assets for the West Africa team, and support communication content creation around the CIPE West Africa team’s key activities and programs, based on relevant inputs from project managers, partners and donors
- Contribute to the development of the knowledge management strategy through collating information and resources, updating SharePoint, supporting knowledge collection and dissemination of knowledge and information
- Draft and updating social media messages for the CIPE West Africa microsite and social media account (Twitter, etc.) in both English and French
- Undertake research on key issues for the West Africa team (i.e. economic and political development in the Sahel, thematic research etc.)
- Attend webinars and online events related to economic development, climate change, peace and security, and any other relevant issues in the Sahel
- Assist in the organization of events of the Sahel Business Coalition or national coalitions that may take place during the internship duration.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- University studies in one of the following fields: journalism, communications, political sciences, international relations, African studies. Additional background in economics, gender, or peace and security would be desirable;
- Demonstrated interest in the economic and development agenda of West Africa, especially in relation to women and youth economic empowerment, peace and security, business environment reforms and democratic governance;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English and French;
- Proficient in MS Office applications and WordPress required;
- Preferably some relevant experience in communications, international development or related area.
All CIPE Fall 2022 internships will be remote, though interns may come into the CIPE office if they choose. Interns who plan to visit the office will be asked to submit a vaccination card or a request for reasonable accommodation. This is a paid internship.
Application Instructions: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter, as well as a writing sample in JazzHR.