Business Resilience Coordinator, Papua New Guinea
Position: Business Resilience Coordinator
Reports To: CIPE PNG Country Director
The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy, and is an affiliate of the US Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked to build the political, market and civic institutions vital to a democratic societies and private sector led economies. CIPE’s key program areas include anti-corruption, public governance reform, support of civil society, property rights, economic empowerment of at-risk communities, and opening political space in closed societies.
In Papua New Guinea, CIPE is implementing a women’s economic empowerment project funded by the U.S. and Australian governments. The overarching mission of this CIPE project is to create an entrepreneurial ecosystem for women in Papua New Guinea through establishing a Women’s Business Resource Centre (WBRC), integrating entrepreneurship into the curriculum of Papua New Guinean universities, and providing technical assistance to women’s business organizations in PNG. The WBRC is housed at:
Century 21 Building
Lot 51, Section 35, Kunai Street, Hohola
(PO Box 599)
PAPUA NEW GUINEA
Through the WBRC, CIPE is responding to the needs of vulnerable women entrepreneurs critically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic with new Business Support Programs aimed at increasing the resilience of businesses1. These programs include the Business Support Hotline and an online and virtual library of business materials, which were launched in 2021. The nationwide hotline provides timely updates on government policies impacting the business community, business-related information and resources, and referrals to other community resources. This Business Support Hotline is the first of its kind in PNG to offer business-specific information to entrepreneurs of all sectors and backgrounds. In tandem with the hotline intake system, the WBRC has built a digital library, or E-Library, for relevant business information and resources pertaining to government policies and business advice. The E-Library is a powerful and fee-free tool that arms women with the knowledge that they need to build their businesses.
CIPE PNG is seeking a full-time Business Resilience Coordinator (BRC) to manage the day-to-day operations of all aspects of the Business Support Programs and to provide support to CIPE’s PNG WBRC Manager and Country Director in PNG. The Business Resilience Coordinator will be physically located at the WBRC. The candidate should be available 44 hours per week, inclusive of a half day on Saturday mornings, to support activities related to building capacity, managing efficiency, and achieving quality deliverables of the Business Support Programs.
The Business Resilience Coordinator will assist in setting up the physical space for the Business Support Hotline and will help finalize the intake process by determining requirements for phone intakes and developing a set script for Business Support Specialists to use during calls. Given that CIPE utilizes multiple intake channels such as SMS, WhatsApp, and Facebook, it will be important for the BRC to ensure that all intake channels are monitored and collect the same information to ensure consistency in handling requests. The BRC will additionally lead marketing efforts for all components of the Business Support Programs (Business Support Hotline, virtual business library, mentorship, value chain networking sessions, and the Business Adaptation Coaching Program), such as developing marketing materials, ensuring sufficient publicity throughout PNG through social media advertisements, email marketing campaigns, press releases, billboard postings, and referrals.
The BRC will engage with community partners and share information to strengthen the networks available as resources for the services. This includes but is not limited to networking with other hotline operators to share best practices and exchange lessons learned. Furthermore, data gathered through the Business Support Hotline will be gathered and analyzed for future reporting mechanisms. The BRC will lead this knowledge output effort.
The BRC will also oversee the expansion of the E-Library. The BRC will supervise the team members who will be responsible for finding, organizing, and integrating various resources into the online collection to maintain a robust E-Library that will be accessible for aspiring and established women entrepreneurs.
Primary Duties to be Performed:
- Implement and oversee the Business Support Hotline’s day to day operation, systems, and process.
- Establish an effective and efficient client management and referral system.
- Review and approve all intake documentation files.
- Meet with staff regularly for performance management.
- Oversee and coordinate activities and schedules of the Business Support Specialists to meet the needs of callers requiring services and support.
- Oversee staff training to ensure they are adequately equipped to properly and fully respond to the needs of callers with appropriate quality responses/referrals that are timely and supportive whilst maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Coordinate and collaborate with additional outside hotline operators in order to strengthen potential and existing partnerships to maximize referral services and to share best practices.
- Lead efforts to produce knowledge pieces, including semi-annual reports on the health and status of businesses in PNG.
- Oversee data collection and information management mechanisms on the Salesforce data intake platform.
- Data quality reviews and submission of timely reports.
- Maintain active communication with the PNG WBRC Manager, PNG CIPE Country Director, and CIPE Washington DC office in regards to programmatic operations and status.
- Develop and make recommendations on hotline intake processes and procedures that are supportive and fully functional and ensure operations meet the project implementation plans.
- Candidate must have at least 3 years of experience in development, business management or advocacy, social work, or other related fields.
- A minimum of 3 years of management experience is required.
- Exceptional interpersonal, problem-solving, verbal and written communication, and conflict resolution skills.
- Candidate must be comfortable in managing both a physical and/or virtual call center environment, including phone-based outreach and support.
- Strong coaching and leadership skills, ability to motivate employees.
- Experience building new processes, systems, or frameworks is highly preferred.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, attention to detail is required.
- Ability to work with sensitivity towards people of various cultures, languages, socio-economic status, age, religion, gender and disabilities.
- Proficiency with necessary technology, including computers, software applications, phone systems, social media platforms (SMS, WhatsApp, Facebook), etc. Candidate should have experience using a computer system and phone system simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently with limited supervision.
- Fluency in Tok Pisin required, with excellence in English composition.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office, specifically MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, SharePoint, and One Drive are required. Familiarity with telecommunications platforms such as Skype or Zoom is required.
- Candidate must be eligible to work in PNG and based in Port Moresby.
This is a full-time position following successful completion of a 3-month probationary period.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit a resume or CV, a cover letter, three (3) references, and a police clearance. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.